Thursday, August 1, 2019

PCA Shortage/Enotional Day

It's been a long time, but I really feel the need to post. Minnesota, and I, are in a PCA crisis. PCA stands for personal care attendant.

I am unable to do most of the activities of daily living, like grooming, dressing, cooking, bathing, toileting, Etc. I can only raise my hand about to eyebrow level ,  and I have difficulty grasping things at times with my hands. If it were not for the system of PCA's, I would be in a nursing home for the physical care. Cognitively, I am intact ( for the most part, LOL)

Since the middle of May I went from 7 staff members ( 24-hour care), (which meant I could sleep in my bed, instead of my chair, and have help whenever I needed it) to 3/4 of a staff person ( she was in a car accident, so she can't dress me excetera but she can help me with my household stuff). They left for financial reasons, family emergencies, and life changes. I have asked non PCA friends to come help change me excetera and they have been wonderful but they can only do so much

Without staff, I am forced to sleep in my chair, which has secondary negative effects: it causes my legs to swell, which can cause sores, and potential infections. I nearly lost my foot a few years ago because of it. I'm much better prepared now to deal with it so it doesn't get that far, but it's still a risk

For toileting, when I have staff I get on the toilet in the mornings, and in the evening. In-between I use incontinence products kind of like Depends. If I'm forced to sleep in my chair, chances are I won't get changed before hand, and I sit in a wet diaper for up to 24 hours if not longer. The word unpleasant doesn't cover it. Usually I'm in my home, I have food, water, and I'm safe, but I'm trapped inside until I can get changed . If you know me at all this is torture in the summertime. Not being able to go outside is a huge frustration. It's hard to plan anything because I might have to cancel because I'm not fit to go amongst people.

Today is that day, and it's really frustrating and hard. This too shall pass but boy it's tough.

I have no idea how to solve the problem, or what we're going to do in the next few years because it's going to get so much worse as more baby boomers get more frail. This has been the only time in my life when I wish I had a family of my own, but that doesn't always guarantee help either.

So I keep my head up, hug my puppy dog, work on projects in the house that I can, be grateful for every minute that I can have outside, and try to remember that this too shall pass.

If you've read this far, thanks for letting me vent.




No comments:

Post a Comment