Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Middle of the Night Phone Call

I was awakened this morning at approximately 1:00 am by a phone call from my friend Star. She said something inside felt different and she felt like she was dying. I went right down and we talked for a few minutes about her options, and although she's terrified of the prospect, she chose to start dialysis. I called the ambulance and a few minutes later we were in the ER. She was in a great deal of pain but I was able to get her comfortable and she was able to sleep for about an hour and a half. At 7:00 am they transferred her to the Twin Cities to Abbott/NW Hospital where her Nephrologist has privileges and where the Minneapolis Heart Institute is. They know her there. I came home and slept for a few hours. I haven't heard from her since. Her daughter talked to her for a short time and they were preparing her for dialysis but she hadn't gone as of about 4:00 pm. I tried calling at 6:30 pm and she wasn't in her room. Perhaps her greatest fear is being faced as I write.

To say I feel helpless and useless is an understatement. Everything in me wants and needs to be down there with her but health-wise I just can't do it. So now I wait....and see what comes....and go from there.

1 comment:

  1. You've already been the friend she desperately needed in the middle of the night. Now pray and be available and you'll continue to be the friend she will need.

    ReplyDelete