Wednesday, January 16, 2013

FINALLY BLOGGING AGAIN


I haven’t blogged for a long time because I haven’t been able to type more than a few sentences at a time, but now I have a new way of typing. I now use an on-screen keyboard.  Using the mouse, all I do is scan the cursor over the first letter (or so) of the word I want to type and a selection of words appears at the top of the keyboard. I then scan the cursor over my word selection and it appears on the screen, automatically spacing after each word as well. No fingering, and the way I have it set up I don’t even have to click. It’s so much fun and so much easier! I’m a little slow at it right now but it won’t be long before I’ll be back up to speed--the learning curve with this program is very low.
I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to do with my blog now. I didn’t go to college until I was 30, and my first class was Composition 101. The professor drilled into our heads repeatedly, “Write what you know”, so that’s my plan. What I know (among other things of course ;-0) is living with physical disability and all that entails. My biggest decision is how detailed, how graphic to get. Recently my oldest brother came to pick me up from the hospital. As the nurse began to go over my medication list, he exclaimed, “You take that many medications?”  The list was two pages long.  I felt very embarrassed. I hemmed and hawed something about many of them being vitamins, etcetera. I thought a lot about it on the drive home and realized how very little he knew about my life: my health, my beliefs, what brings me joy, what makes me sad, what truly matters to me – and he’s my healthcare representative.  It was a powerful wakeup call. So I’ll be writing about my life, in detail. It may not be pretty at times, but I promise to make it as interesting, enlightening, and hopefully humorous as I possibly can. Hopefully you’ll learn something. At times you’ll feel uncomfortable, so be forewarned.  The point is, if you are moved or challenged in any way--if I've helped ease your own journey in any way--then I’ve achieved what I desire. If in the process you learn more about me, well that’s cool too.   So, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.
Addendum: After giving it more thought, I know I’ll be writing about more than just disability; I’ll also write about the outdoors (because I love it so), animals (especially one certain 6 lb. Yorkshire Terrier), and whatever may come to mind. I may even write about spiritual stuff (and my spiritual path is quite esoteric, so it could get interesting).  We’ll see how brave I get!  Be sure to leave your comments, become a follower, or at the very least let me know you stopped by.  Also, please let me know if you have a blog so I can follow yours as well.  (This is so much fun!)

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read more! I'm with you on your journey, as you know, but at the same time, my own as well, meaning that we share so much and at the same time have other things going on so in my mind it's coming to me as our journey but at different paces (does that make sense?). I know I have a small clue of what you go through but only a small one. Give that little Yorkie a hug from her Auntie Tigg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to hearing more from you Jeri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you blogging! I can't wait to read the dreams you weave.

    Connie from ND

    ReplyDelete