Friday, April 24, 2009

Hearing Loss

Well, it looks like I'll have tubes put into my ears early Monday. I haven't been able to hear much of anything for about a week due to a double ear infection. I'm terrified of another procedure: they're never simple where I'm concerned and on some level I really don't want to do it. The thing is, if we wait for the antibiotics to work, if they do, we weaken our arsenal of antibiotics and since I don't have a lot of choices where antibiotics are concerned, it needs to be done.

It's been interesting, this hearing loss experience. At first I was irritated. When I couldn't hear my mother's voice anymore I panicked. Once I was reassured I wouldn't lose my hearing permanently, things got better. Now, it's actually been kind of peaceful. Although I miss out on the small "hello, how are you" conversations, I also don't have to bother with all the background noise we put up with every day. It's like a constant onslaught to our nervous systems, and I enjoy not having that: it's been quite peaceful. What I really miss are the birds and squirrels, the lawn mowers and people raking....in other words the sounds of the warm seasons. Sometimes I miss the sound of my Yorkie and sometimes not! :-) She can be quite demanding and bossy at times. Be assured though, if it's important, she'll get my attention one way or another. She's also been my door bell when people enter the apartment and she lets me know when my phone rings. It's been interesting, for some reason the tone and volume on my phone are just right so I can hear on there just fine. It's quite curious.

I hope everything goes okay. Sure wish I had a few minutes to talk to my PCP. The visit went so fast and now I have concerns and fears I sure wish I could discuss with him before the procedure. I hate weekends when it comes to things like this. Maybe I'll get lucky and run into him beforehand. I dearly hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment