Thursday, March 26, 2009

Welcome to my first attempt at blogging. I will be writing about everything from my health status, to happenings with my family and friends, to my experiences in the health care system, to those things that touch my heart and catch my attention at any time, and probably a little of everything in between.

Today I'm taking two friends to rehab. appointments, one for a wheelchair assessment, the other for shoulder therapy. One is terrified and the other just wants to get it over with. I on the other hand am exhausted; mostly due to the recent beginning of a drop in the level of Prednisone that I have been taking since late July of last year. In that year I have gained 60 lbs. An experience I am ready to let go of now; not enjoyable at all.

For those who may not know me at all, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was 23 years old. I was doing quite well for many years until I had to give up my health insurance due to financial restrictions and went without medical help for four years. In that time I lost the use of my knees and am now using a power wheelchair full time. I am now back in the health care system and have been blessed to find two doctors that I adore and we have become a team. It has been a very rough 5 years of trying to find the right medicines (which is ongoing) and surviving side effects and the ensuing infections that come with Rheumatologic medications, but I persevere. I have come to know the hospital and clinic staff on a first name basis-not a good sign! ;-)

Had my wheelchair repaired yesterday. It wasn't holdin' a charge, so I couldn't go very far and as Spring is upon us, I tend to spend many a mile on the river trails here in town and need to be able to go all over town without fear of running out of power. There's a metaphor there but I'm too tired to pursue it. Running out of power....hmmmm......

No comments:

Post a Comment